Intex pools are an affordable way to enjoy the comforts of swimming. But what if you want to heat up your pool on the cheap, too? Thankfully, there are solar pool cover options specifically for Intex. And to make your search easier, we’ve compiled the best covers for your consideration.
What Is the Best Solar Cover for Your Pool?
Intex swimming pools are known for their accessibility and availability. They usually aren’t hard to find, and their cost is only a fraction of what you’d pay for an in-ground pool.
They come in a variety of sizes and shapes, including, square, rectangular, oval, and round, with the latter being the most commonplace. Therefore, the type of solar cover you’ll need depends on what kind of pool you have. Although it should be noted that round solar pool covers are the easiest to find.
Is a Blue or Clear Solar Pool Cover Better?
Depending on what you’re trying to accomplish, either clear or blue can benefit you more. But for the most balanced, blue delivers the best results. A clear solar pool cover is designed to heat your water quickly. It does, however, lose some of the protective qualities found in blue covers.
With the latter, you can look forward to your pool chemicals lasting longer while retaining their effectiveness. This is because blue covers work to block damaging UV rays from entering your swimming pool. You’ll notice less evaporation, too.
You won’t have to add as much water to your pool during the swimming season as a result, thereby lowering your water bill. Another big plus is that your water will stay warmer longer. Once the heat is harnessed and distributed into your pool, solar energy is trapped by the blue material.
Even when there is a lot of cloud coverage, the heat stays locked into your swimming pool’s water. And once the sun sets, pools with solar blankets will continue to stay warm throughout the night and into the next day.
A clear solar pool cover simply doesn’t have the same benefits. Most pool owners invest in them because they want the fastest heating possible. Pools using clear solar blankets may warm up quickly, but they don’t provide protection from harmful UV rays as well as blue covers.
Benefits of Solar Pool Covers
From improving the comfort of your swimming pool to cut down on maintenance and upkeep, solar covers provide plenty of beneficial features.
The best solar pool covers not only help you reduce your overall pool maintenance costs, but they offer great protection, as well. By covering the length and width of your pool, solar blankets help to prevent debris and insects from getting in your water.
You can also look forward to a longer swimming season thanks to warmer water. Any heat that is harnessed will stay locked into your pool water a lot longer. Solar covers are a great way to get the most out of your pool and the hot summer months.
Things to Consider
If you decide to invest in a blue solar cover, just keep in mind that they take slightly longer to warm up your water temperature than that of a clear cover. But when you consider all of the benefits that come with blue solar pool covers, the trade-off is worth the wait.
When installing your new cover, it’s important that you make sure there are no gaps between the pool and the cover. Solar pool covers should fit evenly along the surface of your water. The perimeter of the cover needs to butt up against the pool’s liner.
This will ensure that evaporation is kept to a minimum. Less evaporation means your chemicals won’t escape, keeping your water safe for swimming. Additionally, heat will stay trapped underneath, as well. You’ll be able to enjoy comfortable swimming conditions for far longer.
If you have to trim your new cover to get it to fit properly, just remember to cut smaller sections initially. This will prevent you from cutting too much and potentially leaving gaps for heat to escape.
Are Solar Pool Covers Any Good?
Yes! As you’ve just learned, solar pool covers go a long way in raising your water’s temperature. With some covers, you can look forward to your swimming pool increasing by as much as 15 degrees! And when you invest in a blue model, that warmth will stay trapped in for far longer.
If you’re tired of paying for costly chemicals during the swimming season, a solar cover will effectively reduce your budget. You won’t have to buy them as often, and your water expenses will see a nice decline, as well.
Many pool owners rely on solar covers each year to cut down on their maintenance. With so many advantages, solar pool covers make a great investment. Even better, a solar cover will usually pay for itself many times over.
Best Solar Pool Cover for Elderly Reviews
1. Best Overall Option – 16-Foot Solar Pool Cover
This solar pool cover measures 16 feet in diameter, making it a great option for those who wish to get the most out of their above-ground swimming pool. It is one of the best solar heating solutions you can invest in for your pool. We appreciate the high-quality construction and effectiveness of this solar cover.
There are tiny holes found throughout the cover that serve as drainage. This helps to prevent water from accumulating on the cover. You won’t have to worry about it sinking or losing its ability to keep heat trapped in your water.
So, how does this solar pool cover work? Well, it comes equipped with thousands of tiny air bubbles that serve to harness heat from the sun. This heat is then transferred directly into your pool water. When installed correctly, you can expect to see an increase in your pool’s temperature by up to 15 degrees.
And thanks to its blue color, this heat stays trapped longer – even overnight and on cloudy days! You can also look forward to spending less on pool chemicals, as the blue material used in this cover works to reflect harmful UV rays. Your chemicals will last a lot longer and work more effectively, too.
- Tiny bubbles – These are responsible for heating your pool. The 16-foot solar blanket is covered in these bubbles, where sunlight is harnessed in them and then transferred into your water. It’s an efficient way to heat your pool quickly.
- Blue – This color is responsible for retaining the heat that is transferred into your pool. The blue solar cover works to keep heat trapped in longer, allowing you to enjoy more comfortable swimming conditions throughout the season.
- Reduced evaporation – Fewer evaporation results in your chemicals remaining effective much longer. You should see a reduction in the need to buy chemicals, as well. If you’re trying to cut back on expenses, a solar cover is a perfect solution.
- Longer heating – The downside to the blue solar cover is that it takes longer to heat up your swimming pool. This, however, is only a small caveat when you take into account all the other benefits that this solar cover provides.
2. Upgrade Option – 18-Foot Solar Pool Cover
A solar blanket like this is designed for round pools that measure up to 18 feet in diameter. You’re getting some of the best protection around for your above-ground pool. It offers exceptional heating capabilities that keep your swimming pool warmer for a longer period of time.
The 18-Foot Solar Pool Cover helps to reduce evaporation by as much as 95%. Your pool chemicals are less likely to degrade from UV damage, and you’ll save on having to buy them so frequently. It’s also a great way to keep your water bill lower during peak swimming months, as you won’t have to add water to your pool quite as often.
Pools that are protected with solar covers won’t have to be maintained as much, either. You can spend more time swimming and less time on upkeep. Even better, you will be able to enjoy your pool after the swimming season has ended.
The only potential downside to this solar cover is that it’s a bit pricey. It is the most expensive solar pool cover we reviewed. But considering all the benefits it provides, it’s worthy of the investment.
- Large design – The great thing about this 18-foot cover is that it provides more coverage to work with. Big swimming pools will benefit from this size and be easier to protect. It is also very easy to trim if you have to cut it to the size of your pool.
- Heat retention – The blue solar cover delivers some of the best heat retentions. You won’t have to worry about your pool losing its warmth overnight. And on the days that are cloudy, you can count on this cover to retain the heat it has collected.
- Less evaporation – Want to cut back on your chemical budget? You can count on this cover to protect your pool by reducing evaporation by as much as 95%. This limits chemical degradation, ensuring that you’ll get the most use out of them.
- Pricey – As the biggest solar cover in our guide, it is the most expensive. But by providing a larger area of protection and heating, a higher cost is to be expected.
3. Value Option – 10-Foot Solar Pool Cover
Is your above-ground pool a bit on the smaller side? If so, you don’t have to spend quite as much. There’s no need to buy a bigger model and trim a large portion of it. Simply invest in this 10-foot cover and enjoy all the same benefits at a much lower price.
You will see a major reduction in your pool’s evaporation. This means less money spent on chemicals and other out-of-pocket expenses. If you’ve been trying to cut back on your pool’s maintenance costs, this solar cover is a great place to start.
You won’t have to fish for bugs and debris as often, either. This 10-foot cover acts as a barrier to keep out foreign objects. And its blue color means heat stays trapped in longer.
Pools using this cover can look forward to their water retaining its heat on days that don’t have a lot of sunlight. Even the night won’t affect the warmth of pools using this solar cover.
- Affordable – If you own a pool that is 10 feet or smaller in diameter, this is the best solar cover for you. Smaller swimming pools benefit from not having to invest in such a large cover. You’re still getting all the same features, just on a slightly smaller scale.
- Blue color – This is what gives pools longer heat retention. Pool covers that are blue are great for keeping warmth trapped in after heat is collected. The tiny bubbles harness that heat from the sun and transfer it directly into your swimming pool’s water.
- UV protection – The other benefit of having a blue solar cover is that it fights off harmful UV rays. These rays are responsible for degrading your pool’s chemicals. If you’ve been trying to cut back on your pool’s maintenance costs, it’s best to invest in a solar cover.
- Smaller size – The only real downside here is the fact that you’re limited in the amount of material you have to work with. You need to be sure your pool is at least 10 feet in diameter. When dealing with pools slightly smaller, you can easily trim this cover to fit your needs..
Our Recommendation for Solar Pool Cover for Elderly
When it came down to which model was the best buy, our pick went to the 16-Foot Solar Pool Cover. It is reasonably-priced, and it provides everything you need for a comfortable swimming pool. Pool covers like this deliver excellent solar blanket protection, giving you the best benefits.
You won’t have to buy chemicals as often, giving you the freedom to get more enjoyment out of your pool. As the best solar pool cover in our guide, it’s a solid investment that you can count on year after year. Pools that have a solar blanket benefit from greater longevity. By investing in a solar cover, you are ensuring that your pool will last longer and have safer swimming conditions.